The story behind the Fourth of July National Holiday is an interesting historical journey into our national pastime.
- July 4th, 1776 was not the day that the Continental Congress decided to declare independence. That day was actually on the 2nd of July, 1776.
- It was not the day we started the American Revolution. That was back in April, 1775.
- It was not the day Thomas Jefferson wrote the first draft of the Declaration of Independence. That was in June 1776.
So, what actually happened on July 4t, 1776?
- The Continental Congress actually approved the approved the final wording of the Declaration of Independence!
- All edits and changes were finalized after the draft was submitted two days earlier for review.
How did the fourth of July become a national holiday?
- Initially, it was not observed with much reverence and in the first 15- 20 years, it was a source of conflict between the Democratic Republic and the Federalists.
- Almost one hundred years later, in 1870 Congress declared July 4th a National Holiday.
- Interesting fact- Both Thomas Jefferson and John Adams passed away on July 4th.
Today, we celebrate this day as a great National Holiday recognizing our Independence as a Nation and we stand proud as a Nation among Nations, a guiding beacon of inspiration to the rest of the world. All of us at Dex by Terra extend our heartfelt wishes for a safe and happy Fourth of July Holiday!